Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I had to do a quick blog about the last two days...
Most dancers in my generation never thought the day would come that we might be able to audition for the one and only MICHAEL JACKSON. We never thought he would be doing another world tour. But this week, dreams came true... Michael Jackson held an audition for his "This is it" Tour.

I first found out from my agent that my picture was not chosen from the initial submission to the casting. He had to pitch me twice more before they agreed to allow me into the private audition. From this first moment I was hesitant to even go, feeling like they aren't interested in me to begin with...

Then I arrived to the audition as I watched about 250+ of the most beautiful and talented female dancers sign in and stretch to prepare for this incredible opportunity. There was at least two hours of scoping out the competition, adjusting our outfits, massaging our body, loosening our limbs, and eating to pass the time and nerves. They took us in to learn choreography... we fought our way to the front to utilize those mirrors... we turned and stared into the empty Nokia theatre and performed our hearts out to smooth criminal. They lined us up, so chorus line, then called my name... wow, I just passed the first cut.

They proceeded to teach us over 3 times as much choreography as was first taught. All I could feel was information overload and hurt feet after showing up at 9:30am and being there until 4:30pm. We absorbed as much as we could and then were told to come back for a callback the next day. I was exhausted but hesitant to rest because I knew everyone else would be at home practicing.


The callback was about 50, full of women of all types and styles... we waited anxiously as the boys were finishing their call. We were lucky enough to see the boys that made the cut, Jeremy Hudson and Dres were the only two I knew personally, but 6 booked it with 4 alternates. And so, it was our turn to hit the stage, review and perform for Michael Jackson himself. We went in groups of 8, only performing once with some modeling catwalk at the end. They sent us back into the lobby until all the women were auditioned. They brought us all back out together and made a cut... down to 16 women. I couldn't believe it... they called my name again. Final cut... they wanted us to walk... to strut... they told us to channel our inner Naomi... So in groups of four, we strutted around the stage knowing that our fates were being sealed.


Last line up. Last girls. 16 strong. So close, yet they only needed 2 women and 1 alternate. They called three names forward... Tyne, Sofia, and another girl(unknown). Asked if they had any conflicts in the next two years... they all shook their heads... "you're booked!" I ran straight up to my friend Tyne and hugged her as hard as I could, tears forming. I was so proud of her! This is a dancer's dream come true! A two year tour with MJ himself! I'm so comfortable with the fact that I didn't book it because I am so honored to have made it that far and to have shared a stage with some of history's best female dancers from all over the world. I don't normally post blogs about jobs I don't work on, but this audition was epic... an amazing experience and so very enjoyable. I really wish more auditions were as enjoyable as this one. Just honored to have danced/auditioned for Michael himself.

More updates to come soon on the Bravo A-List Awards and the Wella Hair show! :D
Departing for vacation to South Africa in a week!!

20 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! What an amazing oportunity for a dancer to audition for MJ!

    Good luck with your next projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, you lucky girl!! :) Must've been absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible... was MJ actually at the audition? How about his choreographer, Travis Payne?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Michael was there... as was his amazing choreographer Travis Payne... the audition was an amazing experience that I feel so fortunate to have been a part of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such an amazing story and experience!
    Did Michael actually said anything like, uhm, 'Hi'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. that must have been amazing . do you know when his tour ends?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many boys and girls made it?

    and is the TALAUEGA-bros Michael Jackson choreographer too? I know that Travis Payne is...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victoria, I am so happy for you. I'm actually traveling from the US to London for MJ's concert. Did Michael speak or dance with all of you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello my name is Marika are Italian and are a big fan of Michael Jackson true that you participated in the hearings of the tour this is it.............a big kiss Marika

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless you honey! You have a story to tell your future childern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Estou muito feliz por vocĂȘ!
    Parabéns!
    De: Gabriela do Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  12. Victoria I'm Brazilian and Michael's fan.I would like to say congratulations and I'm very happy for you!The big day comes finaly!
    I'll be here prayng for you!GO,VICTORIA!DO IT!You are great!God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. why do Mj needs dancers?????It s enough if only he is on stgae...peoples (as like me) will go to see MJ dancing,not those..."girls".
    -Go MJ:)-

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahhh! sooo coool! thanks for puttin that all down for us to see it. Very neat! soo interesting to get an inside look : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh cogratulation my dear! did MJ say anything to you or to other dancers? what was your impression of him?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Michael Jackson!!!! You r soooooo lucky!

    I extremly want to dance but I cant...||| I just play the cello...Oh gosh..thats uselees

    ReplyDelete
  17. dammit we don't want girls dancing with MJ...we don't want the tour to turn into strip club or somethin'

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish you the best in the tour!! I can only imagine the excitement. Mad props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing such an accurate account of the process. This is the only place I have found any info on who the chosen dancers are!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, my name is Rodrigo and I'm from Brazil, and I wrote it, and I stayed in shock, because dance for Michael Jackson himself it is amazing, thing of another planet. He is the best singer of all time, here in Brazil the people love him, and everybody knows He is the only one of all time!
    What did you feel in that moment that you see him?
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete